Sunday 6 May 2007

Love...

I've been really blessed the past 3-4 weeks as I've been watching a romance blossom between my very lovely flatmate and a man that sounds completely worthy of her heart. It has blessed me so much to watch in action a sincere, natural, un-hurried, peaceful, warm relationship developing. Every text, e-mail or phone call, makes my friend's heart beat a little faster. Her face is radiant and I always know when she is thinking of him as she breaks out in a smile.

I think one of the reasons that this romance warms my heart is because it is so pure and so true. I know that my flatmate has guarded her heart above all else (Proverbs 4:23) and I know that as a true daughter of Jerusalem she has consciously not awakened love until the time is right (Song of Songs 8:4). So now I get a front row seat in watching the pursuit of a fair maiden by a righteous man - and it's beautiful, because each has entrusted their heart to the Father who has their best interests at heart.

So often we steam ahead in pursuit of what we think our hearts are desiring. So rarely do we just entrust ourselves to the One who knows the beginning, middle and end of the story. Not only in relationships do we strive to meet the one we were made for, but also in our careers, the homes we want to live in, the ministry we want... and it's often when we step out alone that we get hurt. Maybe we never achieve what we thought we desired, or maybe we get it and realise it's not fulfilling. It just shows that there's something to be said for having faith that our dreams, visions and desires will be met - providing we invest them in the right place.

I guess what I've seen played out before me is a perfect example of Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart... so true - and such a blessing to see right in front of me. When we hand over our dreams and hopes, leave them with Jesus and focus on delighting in Him, that's when we see the true glory, joy and fullness in life. I thank my friend for having the courage to wait, to trust Jesus and to believe for the perfect knight in shining armour.

No comments: